Wednesday 16 June 2010

Creag Dhubh (Newtonmore)

14 June 2010.

Participants - Just me
Where - Creag Dhubh (Newtonmore), 756m/2,479', Graham, Map 35, NN 677972

 I had often passed by Creag Dhubh and on one occasion even stopped to watch people climbing on its cliffs but until recently had not thought about going to the top. However, as I had climbed the other Creag Dhubh at the other end of the Laggan - Glen Spean road earlier in the year and as this one was also a Graham and reputadly a fine viewpoint I decided that it needed to go on the list!

I left the car about 1/4 mile past Auchmore farm at the start of a track through a small forest. There was more parking space there than opposite the farm itself which was where the map showed the track that I wanted to be on starting. However I found that the two tracks joined up and although a bit twisty in places, they enabled me to avoid what looked like some rough and boggy walking on the moor itself. Here is a view of the ridge as I got closer.....


There was a lot of rock on the ridge but also a rough path that avoided any scranbling. This is the upper part of the ridge.....


It was a bit of a dull day although the clouds were mainly above the tops, apart from the Cairngorms which were covered. The best of the views were to the west. This is to Creag Megaidh from near the top of the ridge.....


There were two cairns, the furthest away one marking the top. This is looking past it to the Drumochter hills.....

I returned by the same route; it was a 3 hour walk involving about 4 miles and about 500m of ascent. Now that I'm home, I'm checking my records because I reckon that Creag Dhubh was my 599th Marilyn and that the next new one that I climb will qualify me for the Marilyn Hall of Fame!

No comments: