Tuesday 29 June 2010

Earl's Seat

29 June 2010.

Participants - Just me
Where - Earl's Seat, 578m/1,897', Sub-2,000' Marilyn, Map 57, NS 569838

I don't walk in the Campsies very often, despite the fact that I see them every day from the window of my house. I am afraid that I think of them, probably unfairly, as quite rough and boggy hills, with often not much to see apart from moorland. Fortunately, that does not apply to the two Marilyn's- Meikle Bin and Earl's Seat.

I had some things to do, including a visit to the dental hygienist, so it was late afternoon when I arrived at the car park just past Glengoyne distillery, the start point for Earl's Seat, the highest hill in the range. It is supposed to be named after the Earl of Lennox whose lands once included part of the Campsies.


The late start didn't bother me, as the forecast was for evening sunshine and, sure enough, it was blazing down when I set off, initially across fields, aiming for the foot of the distinctive top of Dumgoyne.....


After this gentle start, the walk really kicked in. The next bit, aiming for the northern shoulder of Dumgoyne, was the steepest of the day- best to get it over with early I suppose. It was certainly a bit of a heave, especially as it was a bit humid! Past Dumgoyne, there was a good view south towards Glasgow, with Craigallion Loch in the middle distance.....


And this is the view that I got looking back to Dumgoyne.....


It was more of a track than a path and it followed closely the edge of the northern escarpment. This is looking east along the escarpment with another Marilyn, Stronend, in the distance.....


Earl's Seat itself came into view across some rough looking moorland.....


but fortunately, the path stuck to the edge of the escarpment and all of that was avoided. Where it swung towards Earl's Seat, it also followed the higher ground, so all in all, it was a pleasnt and easy walk. Unfortunately, the weather was not following the script; the clouds had been rolling in behind me and it was a bit gloomy when I reached the trig, which was at the angle of a couple of fences.....


I didn't hang about too long and fortunately neither did the clouds. By the time that I got back to the main ridge, it was brightening up again. This is the view west to Loch Lomond and the Luss hills.....


and by the time I was passing Dumgoyne on the way back the sun was blazing down again! The walk took me just over 3 1/2 hours and I reckon that it was about 6 miles with about 560m of ascent. Must do another evening walk sometime!

No comments: