Thursday 17 June 2010

Meall na Teanga, Sron a'Choire Ghairbh

15 June 2010.

Participants - Just me
Where - Meall na Teanga, 917m/3,008', Munro; Sron a'Choire Ghairbhe, 935m/3,066', Munro, Map 34

 I have climbed these two Munros, either separately or together, a number of times. This is Meall na Teanga seen from the main road across Loch Lochy.....


As usual, I started the walk near to the farm at Kilfinnan, where there is space to park a few cars at the end of the public road. It had been a few years since I was here; the most noticeable difference was that the trees had grown considerably and the walk along the loch side was now very shut in. These spruce forests are so boring. Also, I came across a new sign helpfully pointing out the route to the two hills; amazing how "Munro" has become so much a part of popular parlance.....


The route was straightforward- a couple of miles along the main forest track before branching off up the marked Right of Way to Tomdoun via the Cam Bhealach. I found the going on this path OK on the way up, but on the way back when I was tired the many stones soon had my feet complaining. This is the view up towards the Cam Bhealach from about the halfway point; with the early morning blue sky fast disappearing over the horizon.....


I decided to climb Meall na Teanga first, as I reckon that it has the better views, and I wasn't sure at this point if I wanted to climb two hills. This is the view of the route it from the Cam Bhealach......


There was  a path of sorts which helped considerably on the steep section and I was soon on the ridge. It was not far to the cairn although I thought that the true summit was a few yards away from it. There was a good view to Ben Nevis, still with some snow on it.....


and a view to a whole range of peaks to the west, including the familiar point of Sgurr na Ciche.....


and of course a view down to Loch Lochy.....


I hung about for a bit taking on liquid supplies (water only, of course) and looking at the views. On the way back down to the Bhealach I could clearly see the route up Sron a'Choire Ghairbh with the zig zags of the stalkers path on it clearly visible.....


If it hadn't been for this path then I probably wouldn't have bothered climbing this second Munro but it does make for an easy ascent so up I went!  The path went much further than indicated by the map and where it ended the walking was excellent on short grass and moss. The cairn was at the edge of the steep northern corrie.....


and I would probably have spent more time here if another walker who was just in front of me had not got out his fags and started smoking! So it was back down the path to the Bhealach with a good view of Meall na Teanga ahead.....


And this is the view back down the Cam Bealach glen with Loch Lochy at its foot.....


As I said earlier, I found the path hard going and I was glad to reach the forestry track, even although I had still a further two miles to go to get back to the car. These are good hills to walk and the only disappointment was that the sun never really came out so the light was a bit flat for photography, Still, you can't have everything! I estimate that I had walked about 9 miles, climbed about 1,150m of ascent and it took me 7 1/4 hours.

No comments: