Wednesday 15 June 2011

Cruach nam Mult

14 June 2011

Participants - Neil and Ben
Where - Cruach nam Mult, 611m/2005', Graham, Map 56, NN 169056

The morning was bright and sunny but I had something else that needed doing so it was early afternoon before I was driving up Loch Lomondside on my way to climb this Graham on the west side of Hell's Glen. Of course by that time it was clouding over; however, the clouds were high and visibility was excellent. I parked just before the high point of the road where two forest tracks strike off, one to the east which is the route to the neighbouring Graham of Stob an Eas and one to the west for Cruach nam Mult. Everything looked very green.....


The hill is one of those that is guarded by conifers. I had decided on this route as the south side of the hill is very steep and rough with an area of crags higher up, a route that didn't look at all inviting. From reading other folks reports, the key to my route was finding a rough path through the trees from where the forestry track ended; in the event, the start of the path was obvious and in its initial stages, easy to follow. There were a lot of deer tracks on the path so Ben stayed on his lead until we exited the forest. As we continued up, the path got rougher and less obvious and I was beginning to wonder if we were heading in the right direction.....


However we were and it didn't take too long until we reached the open hillside. This is looking back with Ben Cruachan on the horizon.....


We headed generally towards the col between Cruach nam Mult and Cruach nan Capull and then took the easy angled west ridge.  Walking was good on short grass and we were soon at the top. There were a number of bumps and knolls but the highest one was fairly obvious. Here is Ben looking across Hell's Glen to Stob an Eas.....


There was a fine view of some of the main Arrochar Alps from here; Beinn an Lochain, Beinn Ime, Ben Narnain and the Cobbler.....


and to the south the hills above Loch Goil.....


Looking down to Hell's Glen and Loch Fyne- spot the car!.....


The way to ensure an anxiety free day on a hill like this is to make sure that you know exactly where to re-enter the forest. I don't have a GPS but on the ascent I had carefully noted in my mind the trees that I would need to aim for to find the start of the path. Of course I headed to the wrong bit and had to traverse the hillside at the edge of the forest until I spotted something that was familiar. Ben was back on his lead which was more than a bit of a pain as it is not easy being pulled down a rough and muddy path by an excited spaniel! But we made it ok and completed an excellent half days walk not all that far from home and got another tick in the Graham's list into the bargain.

3 comments:

blueskyscotland said...

Hi Neil.
Hell,s Glen is as scenic and pleasant as any up there.Always wondered why it got stuck with that dramatic title when there are a lot more fitting contenders around.Best of luck with the weather as its turning into a grim old summer this year.We,ve Not been to a single island yet!
bob.

Alex. said...

The start of the path at the end of the forestry track is a bit unlikely looking,isn`t it ? I put a note on Scottish Hills or some other website about it a few years back.
bob and I extended the walk to take in the HUMP of Cruach nan Capull which has a nice view over to Inverary.
If there are any MBA work parties in the offing then let me know as my foot is stopping me from geting up the hills and I`m getting cabin fever..!

Neil said...

Hi Guys! Alex, if you had to be out of action then this is as good a year as any. Most of my plans have gone to the wall and there is no sign of the weather taking a turn for the better. I refuse to go out in crap weather nowadays, I did too much of that when I was young. Any particular area you are looking at for an MBA work party?