Saturday 2 July 2011

Craigenreoch

2 July 2011.

Participants - Neil and Ben
Where - Craigenreoch, 565m/1,854', Sub-2,000' Marilyn, Map 76, NX 335910

A change of scenery today and a new bit of the country for me. Craigenreoch is on the western edge of the Galloway Forest Park; all of my previous visits to the area have involved the Galloway Corbetts, further to the east and south. So it was an enjoyable drive once I'd passed Ayr- on to Maybole, then Crosshill and then a narrow winding road further south. This was my first sight of today's objective.....


The road actually has a name or at least part of it has, Nick of the Balloch. More importantly, there was a large lay-by at its highest point- very handy! A rough track started a few yards further back the road and this continued all of the way to the summit, although we left it for a bit to avoid bumping into some sheep. The first section was steep but it got us quickly up on to the moor above and that was virtually all of the ascent done. You can see the summit in the distance in this pic....


The first bump we came to is named Rowantree Hill on the map and it's top was marked by a few stones.....


Even off the path, the going was easy on shortish grass and in no time at all (well, about an hour after leaving the car) we were at the trig.....


It was a fine viewpoint. This is looking to The Merrick.....


and to Shalloch on Minnoch.....


and south-west where there seem to be an awful lot of wind farms.....

It was a bit hazy out to the Clyde estuary but I managed this zoomed shot of Ailsa Craig.....


This was a hill that only came on to my radar recently and I was glad that it had. I was aware that it was on the Marilyn list but I wasn't sure exactly where it was in relation to a road as I don't have that particular OS map. Although in appearance and terrain it was more "Ochil" than "Galloway" it was in a nice bit of country that I would not have visited had I not been doing some of the sub-2,000's. And it was a short day so on the way back I stopped at Prestwick beach and had a couple of hours in the sun looking over at Arran, an island that I have been meaning to go back to if we ever get a few good weather days on the trot.

No comments: