Thursday 20 October 2011

Goseland Hill

19 October 2011.

Participants - Neil, Steven and Ben
Where - Goseland Hill, 435m/1,427', Sub-2,000' Marilyn, Map 72, NT 071351

No decent summer and no decent autumn either so far in the central belt! The weather had been pretty grim since I returned from my few days in the North-East but it looked as though today was to be ok so it was into the car and off to the south of Lanark for a short walk on Goseland Hill, one of the sub-2,000' Marilyns in that area that I have not yet blogged.....


This is a heather covered hill in the middle of sheep country, although Ben does not appear to be interested in sheep I always try to keep him well away from them and today fortunately they were on a different part of the hill. I had climbed this hill a couple of times before and it provides some good views; today was the best weather conditions that I had had on my visits. I haven't checked exactly but the hill seems to sit on the watershed with the Tweed just a short distance to the east and the Clyde a short distance to the west. Minor roads circle the hill and there is a wee quarry like area at the east end of the track to Goseland house on the south side which can take a few cars. From the car parking area, it was straight up steeply about 200m in height over short cropped heather to the east top of the hill. As we climbed up, good views opened up to the west towards Tinto.....


From the east top it was only a short walk along a gently inclining plateau to the trig. Ben was first to get there as usual.....


Here he is again with Steven and then with me with Broughton Heights in the background.....



This is again looking towards Tinto......


The Culter hills are to the south.... in the wrong place at this time of day for photography, but I had better not complain too much about the sun or we'll be in for another few weeks of cloud and rain.....


It really was great weather today though as we reluctantly left the top and headed back down the way we had come.....

2 comments:

blueskyscotland said...

May be wrong but I Dont think I,ve done that one yet.The weather has been pretty awful last few weeks.Glad you managed to bag a nice day Neil.Looks a good hill.
bob.

Alex said...

Bob isn`t very good at remembering hills Neil.We were up it about 4 years ago on a not very nice August day.!
Alex.