Sunday 2 October 2011

Knock Hill

A short visit to the North-East, Day 2

28 September 2011

Participants - Neil and Ben
Where - Knock Hill, 430m/1,412', Sub-2,000' Marilyn, Map 29, NJ 537552

It was just as well that I only had a couple of small hills on the radar for today as the temperature soared; by mid-afternoon it was registering 26 C. I drove through Keith and took the A95 Banff road and after a few miles the first of the day's objectives came into view.....


The start point was at the end of a narrow road to a few houses at Swilebog where there was parking for a few cars. The route up the hill was obvious; I could see a narrow path heading straight as an arrow from the woods surrounding the car park car park to the summit.....


There was a fence just before arriving at the top but it had a gate for pedestrians. It was something of an unusual summit with a trig point, a cairn, a smaller, memorial cairn, and a modern stone circle. The trig was also unusual as it was square; I hadn't come across one like that before.....








Unfortunately, the distant views were a bit hazy but on the way back down, I did take a picture looking towards the Banffshire coast......


Although small, the hills in this area are really nice and looking to the north, I could see the next objective, the Bin of Cullen. As it was much closer to the coast, I was looking forward to an even better view.

2 comments:

Graham said...

Hi Neil. Been following yoru blog for a while. Some great walks and photos on here. I climbed Knock Hill and met the guy building all the stone circles last year...

http://www.incompleat.com/2010/10/knock-hill.html

Neil said...

Hi Graham,

Glad you like the blog. As you will have seen, I really like the Grampian scenery....the big plateaus of the Cairngorms, the Angus glens and the wee hills around the north-east. I've still plenty more of the sub-2,000' Marilyns to do in the area.