Monday 5 March 2012

Blath Bhalg

5 March 2012.

Participants - Neil and Ben
Where - Blath Bhalg, 641m/ 2102', Graham, OS 43, NO 019611

Blath Bhalg is the high point of the moorland east of Pitlochry and south of the A924. It's not the most exciting of hills but as I had done virtually nothing since about last November it was enough for me today. Hopefully the weather will now start to improve and I will get out every week but the forecast for the rest of this week is back to being grim. Oh well, at least I saw real hills again today! There was a dusting of new snow on the higher summits but I guess that that's it for this winter now.


I started from the radio mast just past the highest point on the road where there is lots of parking. A track crosses the moor from here and goes almost to the top of Dalnacam Craig. The views opened out from here, this is to Ben Vrackie (the left hand point)....


and there is a fine view of Ben a'Ghlo. I remember it as being every bit as long as it looks.....


The estate has very helpfully cut a strip in the heather from here to the foot of the west ridge of Blath Bhalg- for grouse shooters rather than hill walkers I suppose but welcome nonetheless. At the end of this stretch we picked up a fence and followed it all the way to the summit. This is a multi topped hill and the highest point sits out on a ridge to the south. It was marked by a small cairn.....





I managed to snatch a quick cup of chocolate at the cairn; Ben never stops being active and pesters me whenever I stop and sit down. So it was only a short stop before setting off back the same way. There was just time to take another pic of Ben Vrackie before leaving the summit area.....

1 comment:

blueskyscotland said...

Hi Neil.
That,s sure an empty quarter out that way.We Passed by the Beinn a Ghlo group on Sunday and the path up it was very obvious now even from the A9 road.I remember that being a long day as well.
The lack of paths Show you the difference in the numbers doing the other hills after the Munro,s are bagged.
Dont think there are that many who go on afterwards to do the really tough lists of mountains :)