Wednesday 20 June 2012

Rubers Law

19 June 2012

Participants - Just me
Where - Rubers Law, 424m/1,391', Sub-2k Marilyn, Map 80, NT 580155

Rubers Law is one of these stand alone, see from miles around, little peaks of which there are a number in the Lothians and Borders. It is surprisingly rugged high up with cliffs around the summit and, as it commands a magnificent view of the surrounding countryside, has a lot of history associated with it. It contains the remains of forts and hut circles, it was a Roman signal station, was used by the covenanters, and much more recently, looked as though it had had a Jubilee beacon on its summit.




I found a space to park on the verge opposite Whiteriggs farm on the west side of the hill, the grass had been cut short here and there was room for a couple of cars.....


 A broad farm track led downhill initially then there were fields to cross before reaching the heather clad upper slopes of the hill. Just as well that I had decided to leave Ben at home, this walk included all the problems of the lowland sub-2k's, farm stock, electric and barbed wire fences, etc. The track went through a gate and up through a field; the problem was that there was a herd of bullocks in the field that charged towards me as soon as I made a move to get through the gate. They were probably only curious but I wasn't going to risk it so I quickly changed direction to the field next door which fortunately had sheep in it. The cattle followed me uphill on the other side of the fence. At least all of the fences had gates through them so I was able to avoid potential problems with electricity and barbed wire. I kept to the fields passing a strand of trees on its left hand side before going through another fence and out on to the moorland. This is looking towards the summit after leaving the fields.....


Visibility was good so I got the views. The Cheviot is the hill in the background in this pic.....


this is looking in a generally easterly direction over the border farmland.....


and this is looking back down to where I had left the car (near to the farm in the middle of the picture) with Hawick beyond.....



The hill still obviously plays a part in the life of the local community, I spotted this plaque set in the rocks near to the trig.....


I went back by the same route carefully ensuring before I did so that the cattle had not somehow changed fields!

4 comments:

Russell said...

Enjoyed the report + photos. Rubers Law is a nice wee hill, especially at the top. Across the valley lie the Minto Hills, the highest of which is a HuMp. 40 minutes takes you up and down both of them. - A pleasant walk. Its a pity you didn't fit them in on your Rubers Law day. I did them as an extra after travelling from Stirling to do Cauldcleuch Head, a dismal hill if ever there was one.

Neil said...

It's years since I climbed Caldcleuch Head. I seem to recall it as being a slog through thick grass with not much of a view from the top. Rubers Law was much more interesting.

blueskyscotland said...

Looks a nice hill Neil.Not done that one yet and I fancy the Minto hills as well.
Weather is pretty dire at the moment though.

Neil said...

Yes, normal summer service has been resumed! It's back to taking advantage of a dry day when one comes along I guess.