Friday 10 August 2012

Mullach Mor (Holy Island)

9 August 2012.

Participants - Just me, dogs are not allowed on the Island.
Where - Mullach Mor (Holy Island), 314m/1,030', Sub-2k Marilyn, Map 69, NS 063297

This was one from my "must do" list. I love islands and the summit of an island which is itself offshore from another island had to be good! I wondered about going there in the middle of August, the height of the tourist season, but the weather had turned out so good that I decided that I might as well try. If things didn't work out then at least I would have had a trip to Arran. I could have done the whole trip by public transport but decided that it would be sensible to take my car to Ardrossan; there is a big car park at the ferry terminal.  But then a problem...the passenger gangway on to the Caledonian Isles had developed a fault and passengers had to get on via the car deck. And I reckon that the sailing must have been close to being full- 1,000 passengers. So we were 30 minutes late in sailing. That meant that by the time I got to Lamlash pier, I had missed the sailing to Holy Isle that I had meant to catch and the next two sailings were fully booked. Fortunately, they were operating additional sailings and I got across at 1pm. The sea was calm for both legs of the journey, this is a view of Holy Island from the Caledonian Isles......


and this is the Holy Island ferry at Lamlash harbour.....


Quoting from the Island's website "Holy Isle has a long spiritual history stretching back to the 6th century. It is endowed with an ancient healing spring, the hermit-cave of a 6th century monk, St Molaise, and evidence of a 13th century Christian monastery. The island was acquired in 1992 by the Centre for World Peace and Health as a place for peace and meditation." The boat lands close to the Centre buildings and my attention was immediately caught by the Tibetan prayer flags and a number of Stupas, "symbols of the enlightened mind of Buddha whose function is to restore, balance and transform negative energies to heal both the planet and ourselves."





The boat was met on arrival by a member of the Community who explained a bit about the Centre, the rules for visitors, and how to find the paths to places of interest. The climb was straightforward; follow the directions to the start of the hill path and take it all the way up the north ridge to the summit, with ever expanding views. The weather was absolutely glorious with excellent visibility. Here are the photos that I took on the ascent. Firstly north to the Goatfell hills.....



down to Lamlash Bay.....


 down the Firth of Clyde to Ailsa Craig.....


and the approach to the main summit from Mullach Beag.....


Eriskay ponies, Soay sheep and Laanan goats are all found on the island. The sheep were grazing down by the harbour, I saw some of the goats higher up the hill, and although there was plenty evidence that the ponies had been high up, I didn't come across any. On the way down, I spotted them by the shore on the north-east side of the island.

I was on top in just over an hour.....


Here are the photos from there; the island is very steep on its east side and there is a grand feeling of space on the top.....




Then it was back to the jetty, the boat to Lamlash, the bus to Brodick, and the ferry to Ardrossan.....



Although this trip can be done perfectly easily in a day from Glasgow, I think that it might be better to include it as part of a holiday to Arran. The bus service on the island is not great and delays on the ferry can have a knock on effect on the whole trip. At times I found that I was looking at my watch too much. And the delays in the morning meant that I didn't have time to visit the cave, the spring, the rock paintings and the lighthouse. Another visit required! A final look at Holy Isle from the boat on the way back to Ardrossan.....


Definitely a "must do again" hill.

5 comments:

blueskyscotland said...

Glad you got a good day for it Neil.Its a great summit.Shame about the delays though.I,ve recently learned myself how that can have a knock on effect.

russell said...

Looks a cracker, Neil. Your advice about not trying to do it on a day trip seems sensible. Hope I manage to get it done some day.

Alex said...

It`s a cracking wee hill and island,isn`t it ? I was quite impressed by the steepness east side.

Karen Thorburn said...

I enjoyed your blog. I remember climbing Mullach Mor as a child and getting caught out by the false summit! I returned in September this year whilst on holiday in Arran, was very fortunate with the weather and, like you, enjoyed lovely views over Lamlash Bay.

Mark said...

There is a lot to be said for doing these smaller hills. Will definately have to include in our next trip. You might like our last Island adventure. mark-ten.blogspot.com. Thanks, Mark