Wednesday 8 May 2013

Drumcroy Hill

7 May 2013

Participants - Just me
Where - Drumcroy Hill, 512m/1,680', Sub-2k Marilyn, Map 42, NN 741629

I didn't have any great expectations about this hill, the map showed that it was covered in trees. However, I look on hillwalking as more than just climbing the hill. The journey there and back can be very interesting and this one involved a trip that took in Crieff, the Sma Glen, Aberfeldy and Tummel Bridge.

Summer had arrived and I heard my first cuckoo of the year as I drew up in the parking space at the highest point of the road between Tummel Bridge and Trinafour, where the map showed the main bit of forest ending. The initial 100 yards was through thick heather.......


but then I was able to walk between an old wall and a deer fence where the going was much better.....


As I got higher I got a view back to the Corbett of Beinn a'Chuallaich.....


and across to the Errochty dam and Loch Errochty.....


After about a mile, another wood came in from the north. However, it was not one of the blanket conifer variety but one of much older vintage with trees that were well spaced out.....


It was really nice wandering through these trees on a mossy carpet, with occasional glimpses of the hills to the north....


although I was disappointed to see that some young conifers were making an appearance.....


Near to the summit, there was a bit of a tangled mess of fallen trees so I hopped back over the wall where the going was easier. And then I was at the cairn, a few stones on top of the wall.....


There was no view, although there was some open ground to the south a few yards away. I don't suppose that many people have sat about at this particular cairn but it was very pleasant for about 10 minutes or so before I headed back the way that I had come, with fine views of Beinn a'Chuallaich through the trees in front of me.....



This was undoubtedly the best time of year to climb this hill, before the flies and midges appeared and the heather got too long. Back at the car I thought to myself " well, that wasn't too bad after all".

1 comment:

blueskyscotland said...

Hi Neil. I like the area around there. I've parked near that hill a few times for overnight trips. Great, wide open, views.