Saturday 23 November 2013

A Lake District tiddler- High Rigg

21 November

Participants: Just me
Where: High Rigg, 357m/1,170', Sub-2k Marilyn, Map 90, NY 308220

It's the time of year when I'm looking for some smaller hills- of the sub-2k variety- to climb. It was over a year since I'd been to the Lakes and November seemed the ideal time. I like the Lakes but I don't like the crowds. And I reckoned- correctly as it turned out- that most of the bus tours would have finished for the season and the car parks would be easier to get into.

The sun was shining when I left the house but as I approached Carlisle I could see that the higher Lakeland Fells were covered in cloud. Oh well, I was aiming for one of the smaller ones so I should be OK. And yeah, it was clear.....


I decided to be lazy and drive up to the church of St John in the Vale, which took at least 50% off the climb. Now Lake District roads are narrow but this one took the biscuit, or to be precise, swallowed up the whole width of my car. And there was virtually nothing in the way of passing places. If I ever do High Rigg again, I think that I will start from the road end, or walk in over Low Rigg. Anyway, I reached the church, where there was a car park. An excellent path then led up the hill. Looking back, there was a good view of Blencathra. Pity the top of it was shrouded in cloud!


It was however November, so I reckon that it was not too bad. This is a justifiably popular hill, with a large cairn.....


Quite a few other people arrived when I was at the top, none however had followed my laziness and driven up to the church. I could see Thirlmere to the south.....


After sitting around for a bit taking in the view, I went back down and had a look at the church.....



It was apparently built in 1845 although there is evidence of a church on the site from a much earlier date. Then, with fingers crossed (metaphorically) that there was no other car coming up the road, I set off for Windermere, my destination for a couple of nights.

1 comment:

blueskyscotland said...

Looks like you got a good trip weather wise. That's a great hill.