Thursday 13 March 2014

Blake Fell

12 March.

Participants: Just me
Where: Blake Fell, 573m/1,879', Sub-2k Marilyn, Map 89, NY 110197

Day 3 of my short trip to the Lakes dawned bright and sunny although there was more of a haze than previously. Today's hill was on the other side of Loweswater from Low Fell and approached from the village of Lamplugh. About a mile past the village there was a small Forestry Commission car park, Feldyke, and this was the start point. Shortly after leaving the car I got my first view of the hill. My route was up to the right hand of the two notches and then following the skyline.....


In less than a mile I reached a small reservoir, Cogra Moss, a strange name for a piece of water.....


My route ran along the track on the south side of the water before taking to a narrow path that went steeply up the hillside at the side of the trees to emerge on the hillside at the foot of Low Pen. There had been a lot of felling in this area and the route of the path from below was not obvious. However, it leaves the track just where the lake ends and once on it, the route is clear. Out of the trees, there was now a fence to follow all the way to the summit and to ease things even further, a good path had also developed. I got a fine view of the steep west slopes of Blake Fell from up here.....


It was a good ridge walk, rather like being in the Southern Uplands, say, around Ettrick and there was a good view down to Cogra Moss.....



A gentle walk over High Pen and a steeper pull up Blake Fell saw me at the shelter on top.....


The view towards High Stile etc. was definitely hazy today; Crummock Water can just be seen in the middle distance in this photo.....


There were a few other folk about and it obviously receives a fair number of visitors. After loafing about at the top, I returned by the same route; I could have continued over the summit and down the other side of the hill but a lot of this route was in the forest. I reckon that the car to car walk was about 6 miles with about 400m of ascent and I took a leisurely 4 hours. Here is another photo that I took of Blake Fell and Cogra Moss from almost back at the car.....

2 comments:

blueskyscotland said...

Looks a good day and a nice area Neil. Lakeland is really special and unique. If it was slightly nearer I'd be down there more often but I suppose that would spoil the novelty of going there.

Neil said...

I would be down more often as well if it weren't for the state of the roads! They are so narrow and parking is so difficult outwith the October- March season. It's certainly quieter away from the main fells. If the weather improves in the next few weeks I think that I might make another visit.