Saturday 30 May 2015

Mochrum Fell

30 May 2015

Participants: Neil and Ben
Where: Mochrum Fell, 317m/1,040', Sub-2k Marilyn, Map 77, NX 723750

A road closure south of Dalmellington meant that a long drive was made even longer, so not a good start to the day. Mochrum Fell is a forested area and not all of the tracks are marked on the map so I also had a bit of faffing about trying to find the route on the ground. However, once I found out where I was it all went smoothly. I approached the hill from the south- from a narrow country road that left the main road at Parton, north of Castle Douglas. The track through the forest was very pleasant, this is my first view of the hill from it.....
 
 
At a junction, I turned right and almost immediately turned uphill on a forest ride. It was not too bad but should probably be avoided in the midge/tick/fly season. I could have avoided it by continuing on the track for a bit and then doubling back on another track but the ride was the easiest and shortest option. It brought me out at another junction and there, straight ahead, were the final slopes of my hill and even better, a rough 4WD track heading upwards.....
 
 
Mochrum Fell was completely forested until recently but the upper reaches have been felled. That's the good news, the bad news is that they have replanted so if you want to climb this hill, I suggest that you do it soon! The hillside was a bit of a mess with old branches and stumps but the rough track went to within 50m of the top so there was no bother.....
 
 
It was very pleasant on top with good views. Ben, the trig, and Corserine in the distance.....
 
 
the Galloway hills.....
 
 
Cairnsmore of Fleet.....
 
 
A pleasant short walk.
 

1 comment:

blueskyscotland said...

That area does seem to like its pine plantations. Nice views from the summit though.