Wednesday 9 September 2015

Pibble Hill

7 September 2015

Participants: Just me
Where: Pibble Hill, 383m/1,257', Sub-2k Marilyn, Map 83, NX 533605

I had looked at Pibble Hill when I was climbing Cairnharrow a few years ago and thought "naw, won't get me on that one". But here I was again and it looked just as rough a walk as I had remembered.....
 
 
But appearances can be deceptive, there were traces of a 4WD track from time to time and it wasn't at all boggy. I parked at a cattle grid near to the highest point of the road and headed straight across the moor to join the ridge at its west end. From here, there was a fine view of the Graham, Cairnsmore of Fleet, to the north.....
 
 
It was then an easy stroll along the ridge to the highest point, paralleling a well built stone wall, which actually started where I had parked the car.....
 
 
I had certainly underestimated this hill. It was a fine open viewpoint. Again, looking to Cairnsmore of Fleet.....
 
east to Bengray (centre, horizon) which I intended to climb tomorrow.....
 
 
and south to Cairnharrow........
 
 
Just shows that you can't judge on first impressions! I would climb this one again if I was ever back in the area.
 
 

No comments: