Wednesday 10 February 2016

Calkin Rig

10 February 2016

Participants: Just me
Where: Calkin Rig,  451m/1,480', Sub-2k Marilyn, Map 79, NY 289876

I managed my first new sub-2k Marilyn of 2016 today, Calkin Rig, west of Langholm. I had expected to encounter farm animals so I didn't take Ben, just as well as a herd of cows were near to the track close to the start. I parked on the verge at the bridge over the Boyken Burn at Hopsrig, on the Langholm to Eskdalemuir road, where the track started. I decided to leave the track after about a mile and head up Shaw Hill, passing what was marked as a "Settlement" on the map. It turned out to be quite a prominent ditch. There was a good view down the valley of the River Esk in the direction of Langholm from here.....


Various 4x4 tracks got me to the top of Shaw Hill from where it was about a mile across rough, tussocky ground to Calkin Rig.....


The tops of the hills around here are covered in conifers, including the highest point of the Marilyn, which is unmarked. It's in here somewhere.....


A couple of roe deer helped me to look.....


Fortunately, it's only the summit that is tree bound; there are good views to the east and south from the edge of the trees.....


I headed down fairly close to the forest edge to re-join the track at a disused house. This is the view back from the track, the strong sunlight coming straight at me meant that I couldn't get a decent photo of the hill so this will have to suffice.....


The walk took me 3 hours.

No comments: