Monday 7 March 2016

Best view in central Scotland- Cockleroy and Witch Craig

7 March 2016
 
Participants: Neil and Ben
Where: Cockleroy, 278m/912', Tump and Witch Craig, 287m/942', Tump, south of Linlithgow, Map 65, 989744 and 990726.
 
Visibility was superb today. I didn't want to go far but still fancied something different. The Bathgate Hills fitted the bill, not the highest point Cairnpapple Hill which I have done before but a couple of the smaller summits. We did Cockleroy first, from the car park on the Linlithgow to Bathgate road. It is only a short climb but, wow, well worth many times the effort. This the way up.....
 

to see this.....
 
 


The furthest away hill noted on the indicator was Goat Fell in Arran at 66 miles and I could see it easily. Ben Lomond was 43 miles away- it is the snow covered hill on the extreme left in the first and second of the summit shots above. Stuc a'Chroin and Ben Vorlich are also seen well towards the centre of the photos. Even the industry of Grangemouth was not spoiling the views today!

Swinging round and I could see the Pentlands.....

 
and I was looking down on Linlithgow Loch and Palace.....
 
 
After Cockleroy, I drove further down the road towards Bathgate, not sure what I was going to do next. Shortly, I came across the Korean memorial, I wasn't aware of its existence. It does of course commemorate the soldiers who died in the Korean War of 1950-53. It is a really nice memorial and well worth a visit. The centre piece is a small pagoda.....
 
 
The memorial is on the slopes of another Tump- Witch Craig, and I found that there was a path from the memorial garden to the plateau. So, of course, we went up. The highest point isn't marked but seems to be at the southern end of a wee escarpment. It provided more views of the central belt and the hills of the southern Highlands.....
 
 
and this is the view from it to Cockleroy......


So not much walking today but a superb day out nonetheless.

3 comments:

blueskyscotland said...

You certainly picked a cracking day for it Neil. The Bathgate uplands are very underrated but completely charming for walking or cycling. Feels like spring has arrived this week.

Russell said...

Great photos. I was up Witch Craig in January and really enjoyed it. From the high point on the escarpment I crossed a couple of walls into a wood in case it was higher. My GPS showed it wasn't.

Neil said...

Thanks for the confirmation about the highest point on Witch Craig, Russell. I went down to the wall from where the escarpment looked to be the higher point so I didn't bother fighting my way through the trees.