Thursday 17 March 2016

Meall Mor, Rannoch Moor

14 March 2016

Participants: Neil and Ben
Where: Meall Mor (Rannoch Moor), 492m/1615', sub-2k Marilyn, Map 50, NN 304471.

I had to take advantage of the glorious weather this week and get out on the hills. West was to be best so I headed to Strontian to climb a wanted sub-2k in Morvern. On the way up, I stopped off to climb Meall Mor, which demonstrates the truth of the phrase "maximum reward for minimal effort." I had climbed it before but these were easily the best conditions that I had had. It's well worth stopping to do if you're travelling the A82 and have an hour to spare.

I think that this is the best time of year, there is still some snow on the hills and you have a good chance of sharp visibility. These were the views today:

The hills of the Blackmount.....


Ben at the cairn.....


The Stob Ghabhar hills.....


Clachlet and Meall a'Bhuiridh.....


Looking over Lochan na h-Achlaise and Rannoch Moor.....


Beinn Achaladair and Beinn an Dothaidh.....


Beinn an Dothaidh and Loch Tulla.....


Zoom to Ben Cruachan.....


Wonderful! Then it was on through Glencoe.....



To be continued.....

No comments: