Tuesday 12 July 2016

Meall nan Eagan

12 July 2016

Participants: Just me.
Where: Meall nan Eagan, 658m/2,159', Graham, Map 42, NN 597875
 
The forecast didn't look promising for the foreseeable future so as today was half decent, I decided to get out and climb this Graham which was my only unclimbed Marilyn in the area. I left the house reasonably early so managed a hassle free drive to Dalwhinnie. I parked at the entrance to an old quarry immediately opposite the track that is marked as an old drove route to Feagour which was also my route to the hill.....
 
 
There are a lot of new tracks in this area; this is a particularly unsightly one heading up the Fara.....
 
 
There was a diversion route past the keepers house and then it was back on to the track which now wound its way through a beautiful wee glen. My hill appeared in front of me for the first time.....
 
 
 
The track crossed the river a couple of times but as there were no bridges and it looked to be deep enough to get wet feet, I stayed on the north bank, where there were traces of a path. The track ended in a flat area that was a bit wet underfoot but not too bad going.....
 
 
I headed for the east ridge, a mix of heather, grass and rock outcrops but which provided not too bad going.....
 
 
From about half way up there was a good view east to the conspicuous Creag Dubh at Newtonmore and along Speyside.....
 
 
The sun had made a fleeting appearance as I approached the hill but by the time I reached the cairn I could see rain approaching from the west. The highest point was a few stones laid against an old fence post; this picture has the Fara in the background.....
 
 
Another view east to Strathspey.....
 
 
and the big Munros to the west, here, the Beinn Eibhinn group and Geal Charn south of Loch Laggan.....
 
 
There was also a good view into the deep gashes of the Dirc Mhor and Dirc Bheag to the north of the Fara but as the weather now didn't look very promising I didn't bother going down to have a look but simply headed back to the track. I got caught in a heavy shower as I walked back along the track. All in all however, it wasn't a bad day to make a visit to a bit of country that felt quite remote.

No comments: