Monday 8 May 2017

A Wester Ross grandstand: Bidein Clann Raonaild

3 May 2017

Participants: Just me
Where: Bidein Clann Raonaild, 466m/1529', Sub-2k Marilyn, OS 25, NH 054 592
 
Now why would I want to climb a featureless lump with a track all the way to the top?.....
 
 
I parked at the gated entrance to a radio mast almost at the highest point of the A832 between Achnasheen and Kinlochewe. The track passed the mast, went downhill through a forest and then started to rise again to another gate, which was locked but there was a convenient hole in the fence just beside it which let me through. I was now out on the moor with the track rising steadily ahead. There was some indication to the answer to the question above when I looked to my left and saw the hills of the Coulin Forest starting to appear, Fuar Tholl on the left and I guess that it must be Beinn Liath Mhor centre.....
 
 
It was a bit of a drag walking up the track; for some reason I wasn't going particularly well, But the view back on one of my many rest stops bucked me up. Loch a'Croisg with Fionn Bheinn on the left and the Sgurr a'Mhuillin hills background right......
 
 
But the best of the view and the one that I had come for only started to appear as I approached the transmitter at the summit.....
 
 
There was also a substantial cairn, here with Fionn Bheinn beyond.....
 
 
And looking west, the view, looking down Glen Torridon, Sgurr Dubh on the left and the unmistakeable shapes of Liathach and Beinn Eighe on the other side of the glen.....
 
 
A slight telephoto shot of Liathach.....
 
 
Liathach, Beinn Eighe and the Corbett Meall a'Ghiubhais at the head of the Beinn Eighe Mountain trail.....
 
Continuing looking round, Meall a'Ghuibhais, Loch Maree and Slioch.....
 
 
The mountains of Fisherfield, the top of Ruadh Stac Mor looking pointy from here, Beinn Tarsuinn and Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair.
 
 
I doubt if I could have come here on a better day. But I couldn't hang about here for ever so eventually I tore myself away from the views and wandered back down the track. I then drove down Glen Torridon and had a walk along the side of Loch Clair to get the views of Beinn Eighe....
 
 
 
and one of my favourite hills when I was younger and fit enough to climb such things- Liathach.....
 


 

1 comment:

blueskyscotland said...

Great post and photos Neil. Nice clarity of light and well known hills seen from an unusual vantage point, captured well.