Sunday 7 May 2017

Craigellachie

2 May 2017

Participants: Just me
Where: Craigellachie, 496m/1,627', Tump, OS 35, NH 880123
 
At last, at last! A big high pressure area had moved in over Scotland providing an opportunity to go to the north-west for a few days. I booked for Inverness so it was a case of up the A9 again. I decided to stop off in Aviemore this time and climb the local Tump, Craigellachie, which rose steeply behind the village and had an uninterrupted view to the Cairngorms. Although the day was sunny and warm, it was a bit on the hazy side and I was hoping that that would clear for the hills that I had in mind for the following days.
 
I parked at the Youth Hostel where the hill path started. It was a really nice walk on a made path through a birch wood with signs of spring all around.....
 
 
 
Looking back, the main view was of the Corbett, Meall a'Bhuachaille.....
 
 
As I got higher, Aviemore came into view. It was OK so long as I didn't look at the architectural monstrosity that is the centre and the hotel complex.....
 
 
The hill was crowned by a large cairn; unfortunately the sun was in the wrong place for the view south.....
 
 
but it was OK for the view to the higher hill to the north.....
 
 
This would be a great hill to climb on a crisp winter's day.

No comments: