Tuesday 9 May 2017

Meall an Faochaig

4 May 2017

Participants: Just me
Where: Meall na Faochaig, 681m/2243', Graham, OS 25, NH 258525

I hadn't been down Glen Strathconnon for yonks, so long in fact that I didn't recognise most of it. The starting point for this Graham was Inverchoran; the guide book says that you can park at the bridge on the farm road but that had a "No Parking" sign; however there was plenty of space to pull off on the public road so that's where I parked. Leaving the car, I walked a further 3/400m further down the road to pick up a stalkers path. Although it initially headed in the opposite direction to that in which I wanted to go, it was well worth following it as the lower hillside was covered in thick heather. And I gained over 300m in height before I had to take to the hillside. A bonus was the view from the path up Glen Strathconnon towards Moruisg.....
 
 
This is a bit of a retiring hill, not well seen from the roadside. It was only when I got towards the end of the path that it really came into sight.....
 
 
It was simply a case of keeping just east of the south ridge and heading for grassy strips where these occurred. This brought me out only a few hundred yards from the summit. On the way up, the Glen Strathfarrar Munros gradually came into view.....
 
 
It was another glorious sunny day with great visibility, although there was a bit of a breeze. This is looking west from the cairn towards the remote Munro, Maoile Lunndaidh (the one with the snow patches).....
 
 
And this is the view south to the Strathfarrar hills with the Corbett, Bac an Eich to the right of the cairn.....
 
 
There was a deep and very steep sided glen to the east across which were the Corbetts of Meallan nan Uan and Sgurr a'Mhuilinn which are so prominent from the Garve to Achnasheen road.....
 
 
I returned by the same route. I still have the other Graham across the glen to do but it never entered my thoughts to do it today. Maybe at one time.....!

1 comment:

blueskyscotland said...

Same here with multiple hills in a day. I occasionally think about it but don't follow through. Spirit willing- body less so.