Sunday 16 July 2017

The Glasgow Tumps- Ruchill, Springburn Park, Queen's Park, Hurlet Hill

As I now seemed to be ticking off Tumps, I reckoned that I had better visit the four that lie within the City of Glasgow Council area. Although I have stayed just outside the city for over 15 years now, there were areas that I had never visited or passed through and visiting the high points seemed to be as good a way as any of seeing a bit more.
 
14 July 2017. Just me. Ruchill, 83m/272’, Tump, OS 64, NS 580 682: Springburn Park, 111m/364’, Tump, OS 64, NS 610 684.

I had a maximum of an hour and a half to spare while Ben was at the groomers and as it was a really nice day I decided to visit Ruchill and Springburn Park, both on the north side of the city. Ruchill park is adjacent to the site of the old Glasgow fever hospital of which only the water tower remains standing. Much of the area seems to have been turned into student flats. The park itself was pleasant enough although there was not much to it. The highest point was this bit of grass…..
 
but the viewpoint was at the flagpole a few hundred yards further west.....


What a fantastic view of Glasgow! Looking south-east, Tinto just visible on the horizon.......

 
Looking south with Glasgow University prominent.....

 
Looking south-west over the city.....


and looking north-west to the Kilpatrick Hills.....
After taking the photos, it was back to the car and a short drive east again to Springburn Park, overlooked by the multi-storey Sighthill flats. This was a much nicer park but with not nearly such good views. The highest point appears to be either just outside or else inside a locked Water Board compound (across pond)......

The main pond.....


The statue to Sir James Reid of Hyde Park Locomotive Works who apparently was instrumental in the early development of the park.....


I didn't have much time here, the phone rang letting me know that it was time to head back and collect Ben.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
16 July 2017. Neil and Ben. Queen’s Park, 64m/210’, Tump, OS 64, NS 579 621: Hurlet Hill, 66m/217', Tump, OS 64, NS 514 612.
It was another nice day, a Sunday and therefore the best day of the week to drive around an area that I was unfamiliar with. Might as well do the other two high points. These two are on the south side of the river so it was over the Kingston bridge and on to Shawlands for Queens Park. There was plenty of space to park at the back of the old Victoria Infirmary (not sure how I found my way there but I did) from where it was only a few minutes walk to the highest point at a flagpole.....


This park would no doubt be better visited in the winter when the foliage has died down; today the only real views were to the north to the Campsies.....


It would have been a shame to have only visited the highest point so we had a walk around- it was a great place for walking a dog.
Next, I had to find my way to Silverburn shopping centre and from there to Hurlet. It turned out to be remarkably straightforward- one thing I did learn from this trip is that Glasgow is not really all that big a city. I parked in Faskin Road, followed a path through a field.....

and five minutes later reached the brow of the hill....

and the trig which was hiding behind a hedge.....
 
I'm not sure what the connection with aliens is but I noticed on the drive out that there was also a shop with the word alien in its name.....

The view to the north and the west was not bad at all, I think that that must be Ben Lomond on the horizon at the top right of the photo.....

And these are the City of Glasgow Tumps! 
 
 

1 comment:

blueskyscotland said...

Enjoyed that post Neil as I've been round them all without knowing they were Tumps just high-points with good views. Hurlet was my local one but not been up it since my teens. The most natural of the four with some nice surrounding countryside. Visited Springburn Park two weeks ago. The old glasshouse must have been impressive there in its prime.