Sunday 10 September 2017

Startup Hill

9 September 2017

Participants: Just me
Where: Startup Hill, 439m/1440', Hump, OS 72, NS 977 296
 
Down to the Border hills today- Startup Hill lies to the north of the main Culter hills and is approached from the village of Lamington. This is a view of it from A73 to the north......
 
 
I parked in the small car park at the church; it was a walk of only a couple of hundred yards along the main road from there to the start of the side road that went into the hills. I walked along that road as far as the farm at Baitlaws and then took to the east slopes of Startup Hill. There was still a bit of cloud about- this is looking to Tinto- but it was clearing.
 
 
The ground was very wet and when I came to a patch of bracken I was glad to find a sheep trod through it....or maybe it was a Humpers trod? Whatever, it didn't take too long before I was approaching the top, with Dungavel Hill to its right.....
 
 
The hill overlooks the Clyde valley and I could see all of the way to the Pentland Hills to the east.....
 
 
The clouds were pretty thick to the south, to the Culter hills, and it looks as though the massive Clyde wind farm is marching steadily north.....
 
 
No cairn or trig on this one but the highest point was obvious. With the cloud now cleared from Tinto.....
 
 
I started down, enjoying the view of Lamington Hill as I descended.....
 
 

1 comment:

blueskyscotland said...

Lovely photos. That area does have a special "wide horizons" appeal I really like yet is still largely undiscovered.